Intensive Outreach Service
This service is not open for self-referall.
Who is the service for:
This project is funded by the Department for Education, overseen by the MHCLG and works in partnership with both HertsCC and the local housing authorities. It is an intensive outreach support programme for care leavers who require intensive 1-1 support in order to improve their housing situation and avoid rough sleeping.
Many of those who we help have experienced trauma at some point in their lives, which can result in many emotional and behavioural issues. These young people often do not have a network of support around them to support them during difficult times in their lives.
"The hyh Intensive Outreach team provided an invaluable service for one of our care leavers who struggles to deal with life’s challenges. An all-round good service. Good communication, Good Team, Great results.
Thank You very much!”
Deborah Nicholas, Leaving Care Personal Advisor, Care Leavers Service CLA 2
Care leavers who are homeless and have very complex housing needs / require intensive support to engage effectively.
Care leavers at risk of losing their accommodation who require more intensive support to improve their situation.
Please be aware that:
- Engagement from the young person is essential.
- The support will work towards clear goals, depending on the needs of the individual.
- The service is not suitable for those who have long term support needs, which should be met by other statutory services. However, part of the support could involve supporting the young person to engage with those long term service providers.
- The workers are not available to support with daily care, such as medication or person hygiene.
What support is provided:
The service is available for 6 months.
The workers are able to provide intensive, focused support to build relationships of trust with that young person.
The service provides solution focused support in many areas including:
- General tenancy sustainment
- Independent living skills
- Finding suitable accommodation
- Income / budgeting
- Education and training
- Debt advice
- Co-ordinating plans with relevant partner agencies to ensure that all support needs are met
Hertscc Care Leaving Service referrals:
All referrals should be discussed and sent to the Care Leaving Service Manager who will determine if the referral is appropriate and prioritise each one as needed. Once referrals has been agreed the referral form should be sent alongside the up to date pathway plan and risk assessment to the 18+ Advice line.
Housing Partner referrals:
All referrals to come directly to hyh via the 18+ Advice line. We will require the referral form to be completed. (Please note you will be contacted if referral does not meet criteria or more information is required)