hyh twitter hyh facebook hyh instagram Linked In hyh youtube hyh email

Frequently Asked Questions


I’ve got nowhere to go tonight – what can I do?


If you are under 16 then contact Children’s Services on 0300 123 4043.

In the first instance you should always try and find somewhere safe to stay with either friends or family, even if this is only for a night or two.

If this is not an option, please contact us as soon as possible. Aged 16 or 17? - contact the HUB on 03003 230 130.

Out of hours: Aged 16 or 17? Contact Children’s Services on 0300 123 4043. Over 18? Your local council will have an out-of-hours number, however, this does not mean that they will need to accommodate you.

I’m not safe in my own home – what can I do?


If you or any other person feels they are in immediate danger then call the police on 999. If you think anyone else, in particular children or vulnerable adults, are at risk of harm, contact Social Services on 0300 123 4043 or dial 999.

If you are suffering from or under threat of any form of violence or abuse then you need to seek advice as soon as possible. You can either contact our Homeless Hub team or your local council.

I’m worried I am going to lose my accommodation or my home


Aged 16 or 17? - Contact the HUB on 03003 230 130. Aged 18 to 24? - Contact the hyh Advice Line on 08000 355 775 to talk to one of our trained workers who can offer advice on the services and options available to you.

Other organisations offer advice, including Shelter (www.shelter.org.uk or call 0808 800 4444) and your local Citizens Advice Bureau (www.citizensadvice.org)

Do hyh have rooms to rent and can I get help with a deposit?

hyh do NOT have any rooms to rent but our ‘Guide to Private Renting’ offers advice on where to search. hyh cannot help fund deposits but there are some ways you can get assistance with this and these can be found in our Guide. Most councils will only assist with a deposit if you are considered a priority for housing.

hyh can make referrals to supported housing projects for longer term accommodation however we do not manage the waiting lists for these.

We are able to access Crashpad -- short term emergency accommodation for 16 and 17 year olds.

If I am homeless, will I get my own flat or house?

Some hostels offer a move-on into your own accommodation, however, this will depend on your circumstances and the agreement that they have with the local councils. We can never guarantee this and it may be that you move on into private rented accommodation. The support staff in the project will support you with this, such as linking you in with credit unions so you can save for a deposit.

How do I get into a hostel and what rules do they have?


Hostels have different application processes. You can apply directly to some hostels if you visit them or their websites but for some you will need to be referred to by an agency. Housing departments will advise you on an agency that can do this. You can also contact the HUB on 03003 230 130 if you are 16 or 17 or the hyh Advice Line on 08000 355 775 if you are aged 18 to 24, for further advice on your options.

All hostels have their own rules, some allow visitors while others do not. The hostel will interview you prior to offering a space and will go through the rules with you.

I have my own accommodation but am struggling to pay my bills


Managing your own home can be really difficult, especially if you are doing it for the first time. If you feel you need help, contact our Advice & Information team on 08000 355 775 and an experienced worker will assess your situation and may refer you to an appropriate colleague for longer term support.

What is mediation?


A FREE, confidential, impartial service that works with families who are having arguments. Mediators offer fair and unbiased support to help families recognise for themselves what issues need to be worked out and how to move forward in a way that feels fair to everyone involved. Mediation is very practical and focuses on what needs to happen to help differences get resolved.

How long does mediation last?
We offer around six sessions to families and aim to meet on a weekly basis for 1-2 hours.

How successful is mediation?
Mediation may not work for all families. However, if all parties participating are open to and willing to put changes in place then they are likely to see positive change within their relationships.

What is Dual Diagnosis?


Dual Diagnosis can support those with mental health and substance misuse problems, we can provide support to enable people to access the relevant support services that they may need as well as providing housing support alongside this if needed.

I am struggling with my mental health but am not getting support.
If you are aged 16+ call the hyh Health Team on 03333 202 384.

I am an inpatient in a mental health unit but have nowhere to go when I am discharged.
Ask to see the Accommodation and Housing Advisor who is based on the HPFT wards.

What can 18+ Hub help me with?

hyh 18+ hub workers can help in many ways, not just with housing. They help with budgeting, education and training, debt advice, health issues and other areas. Each young person will have a plan of action agreed with their worker.

How long can I get support for?
This will be agreed with your worker but can be up to a maximum of six months

Where do hyh deliver education projects?

All over Hertfordshire, this can be in schools, education projects and youth clubs.

What subjects do you cover?
We have a variety of different interactive sessions covering homelessness, preparing to leave home, understanding conflict and healthy relationships. See the Education section of our website for more details.

Are there any fees?
Our Home Truths sessions are fully funded and completely free of charge!  The cost of other sessions will be quoted at the time of the booking enquiry.

Can I fundraise for hyh?


We would love to meet you to discuss any fundraising ideas. Please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your details and we will be in touch very shortly.

How do I donate to hyh and what could the money be spent on?
You can donate online through the website. For instance, £5 could pay for a travel warrant so a young person can get to their appointments; £25 provides a bed for a night, preventing a young person from having to sleep rough, and £100 pays for a starter pack for a young person moving into their home for the first time.  

How do I volunteer for hyh?


We need help in all sorts of roles, please get in touch with us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we can let you know of any opportunities or check out the Volunteer section of our website.