About Herts Young Homeless
Homelessness can be defined as being without permanent, stable or suitable accommodation. Besides rough sleepers and people living on the streets this includes those who are sleeping on friends floors or living in hostels.
hyh services are open to all 16 – 24 year olds who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. We also have a Health Service which has no upper age limit. They provide information and support as well as emergency accommodation through the Nightstop Herts scheme.
hyh works with other agencies throughout Hertfordshire towards improving local provision and preventing youth homelessness.
- The main cause of homelessness in young people is through family breakdown
- Individuals do not choose to be homeless
- Half of the young homeless people in Hertfordshire are 16/17 year olds
- Many young people between 16 and 24 lack the necessary life skills to live independently
- The national average age for young people leaving home and becoming independent is 25 years
- Accessing health services is a challenge for homeless people of all ages